Slasherton – Sack Collectible Resin Casting

So now I had managed to make the 2 piece silicone mold for our little Sack character, the next stage was to cast him in resin. I chose resin but can’t exactly explain why.  I read about all the different mediums for making figurines and toys and got totally confused about all the different qualities. The most commonly used are PVC, vinyl and resin as far as I can see. I follow a lot of toy/figure makers on Instagram and Twitter etc and there seems to be a lot of resin used for this type of thing and also it seemed to quite reasonable cost wise. I’m going to experiment with the different types definitely but for now the resin was the way forward.

The resin I bought in the end, after a lot of deliberation, was Polycraft SG2000 Fast Cast Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Casting Resin 2kg Kit (1kg Part A & 1kg Part B) from eBay. It cost me £30 with £7.99 P&P.

Mix Ratio : 1A : 1B by weight
Pot Life 200g/20°c : 2.5 – 3.5 Minutes
Demold Time : 30 Min / 1hr

Cured Colour – Ivory

I should mention here that there are different types of resin like polyester resin and water clear casting which can all be used for similar types of things like jewellery and such but I read that the best kind for making the figures (I think?) was POLYURETHANE FAST CAST RESIN. It doesn’t take long to cure and has low odour etc.

2013-06-21 18.05.52

I also bought some polyurethane resin pigments from the same seller because we wanted to experiment with different shades for the figures. I bought red, white, black and light buff because I had mentioned previously we originally were thinking about making the figures in a similar style to the buff/flesh toned M.U.S.C.L.E. figures that were massively popular in the 80s.

2013-04-24 08.47.30

As you can see from the mix ratio, this resin was very simple to use thankfully. The only issue was working out how much to use so as not to waste any. I filled the mold with water and poured this into a plastic disposable cup after zeroing of course and weighing it. It weighed just over 40g so I simply weighed 20g of Part A with 20g of Part B in another cup. I then added tiny amounts of light buff, white and red pigments with the tip of  a lollipop stick to a colour I thought approximated a flesh tone and mixed it together quickly but again gently so as not to introduce air.

I placed elastic bands around both ends of the mold prior to adding the resin to ensure it was held firmly together and to minimise seams where the resin might leak and gently poured the resin into the mold. You have to work quickly for this stage as there are only a few minutes pot life before the resin begins to cure. I tapped the mold a little and squeezed it gently to try to get any air out and then left it to cure. It has a 30-60 mins cure time but with the figure being so small it only took about 10 mins.

Resin actually cures from the thicker parts first so you can tell when the cast has set when the thinner parts are hard rather than the other way round.

2013-06-21 18.15.19

Once it had set  I was able to easily remove the figure.

2013-06-21 18.58.54

It actually came out better than I expected but the colour wasn’t right, (I’d added way too much pigment), so any translucency that the resin has was lost. Also as you can see I’d overfilled it slightly so the feet would need trimming down a lot.

So then I tried experimenting with different colouring, beginning with no pigment at all which I loved.

2013-06-21 19.54.27

Then with a tiny bit of each single colour which resulted in a lovely pink and grey and a kind of yellow colour from the buff.

2013-06-22 18.33.40

I had to trim the rough edges and seams with a knife and sand the figures down a bit to neaten them up but they looked great. However after a lot of deliberation we realised that until the figures became recognisable it wasn’t as likely people would want a plain figure in a particular style.

This meant for now, (we’re still planning on doing the plain figures at some point), we were going to paint the figures as they appear in the books.


I used ordinary acrylics to paint the figure, with a selection of very fine brushes because of the detail. It was fiddly but I’m hoping when I have to do a series of them I can paint them like a conveyor belt with all the blocks of colour to reduce time a bit. I also added custom blood splatter to make them all a bit more individual by spraying paint with a dry brush over him.

2013-06-25 19.20.13 2013-06-25 19.20.24 2013-06-25 19.20.34 2013-06-25 19.20.44

2013-06-27 17.54.02

I was really pleased with how he turned out. Hopefully when the characters become a little more well known we can put these on sale.

This final pic shows the scale of the final figure (about 1.5 inch), against the original detail figures.

2013-06-25 19.40.33

I’m very excited to tell you that the first 3 books in our Slasherton series, Sack, Stitch and Stealth are now available to buy from Amazon in both paperback and ebook formats. Please check them out and leave us a review, hopefully you’ll love them as much as we love creating them 🙂

Stealth is currently FREE to download (Tues 14th – Fri 16th Aug 2013) so give it a go 😉

Creep also has a number of awesome books you can download too. Just search ‘Creep Creepersin’ on Amazon for the full selection 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s